Sunday, October 2, 2016

Week 2...Family Dynamics and Theories


This week we did some reading on some of the theories for explaining family life. I have to say that it is a good thing there are so many different theories because family life is very complicated—especially considering we have already discussed so many different aspects and make-ups of families.  No one theory could possibly explain all families.  In addition some theories may make a lot of sense for one family but not help in any way another, based on the family make up. I really loved some of the ideas that I got from considering these theories with my own family. By understanding a little bit about Exchange Theory, which is the idea that we all attempt to keep our cost lower than our rewards in interaction, or understanding a something about Symbolic Interaction, where humans are viewed as primarily cognitive creatures who are influenced by their interaction experiences, I have been able to consider new ways of looking at my own family relationships.  I would like to read and study more on each of the different theories because the information we got was pretty general.  I am sure that this is an area that could really peak my interest!

No comments:

Post a Comment