Saturday, October 8, 2016

Culture and class

This week I investigated social class and cultural diversity and what affects these have on the family.  I know that I have led a pretty sheltered life.  I grew up along the Wasatch front in Utah and then moved to Rexburg Idaho after my first child was born.  I have not experienced a lot of cultural diversity.  Even with some of my travels, my exposure was on a different level.  I have never lived with people of a different culture or class other than my own.  I have had some interaction with people, friends and family of different classes and cultures but only on a limited, short term basis. 

As part of the preparation for class this week we watched a series of videos titled, “People Like Us”, that explores different classes of people in the US.  It is interesting that in our country, people don't like to admit that there are different classes but there are!  As I watched these short videos I had a few thoughts.  First, I believe that the gospel is something that can act, to some degree, as an equalizer when it comes to class. No the gospel cannot not get a poor man with no pedigree into a certain country club. However, in the gospel, all are children of our Heavenly Father. All are able to make and keep the same covenants.  In addition, having the gospel provides help and support to those who may be struggling and helps instill values and gives guidance to those with excess. The people I have had interaction with that are from what some would call the elite social classes were members of the Church.  These people where loving and accepting of all they came in contact with.  They are some of the most humble and generous people I know.  In the same vein, those that I know from the lower socio-economic classes were also members of the church.  They too were humble and did not expect or even want pity or special treatment. They are hard workers who are happy with what they have.  I think both ends of the spectrum are able be happy and content because they see everything they have as a blessing from God and not as something they are entitled to. Elder Oaks called this a “gospel culture”. He said, “members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have what we call a gospel culture. It is a distinctive way of life, a set of values and expectations and practices common to all members. This gospel culture comes from the plan of salvation, the commandments of God, and the teachings of the living prophets. It guides us in the way we raise our families and live our individual lives.”


The second thought I had ties right into the first.  In the news of late we see a lot that is contentious and depressing.  We hear reports on things such as immigration, civil rights, gun control and white privilege. All of these issues are tied to and affected by class and culture. Most of these issues have strong support and emotions on both sides. However, I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ can give direction and possible solutions to these problems.  Maybe there will still be suffering and a difference of opinion, but, if we all looked at each other as children of God and treated each other as such, things would be better.  Of course, we all have agency and not all will choose to treat others with compassion and dignity. By sharing the gospel and the truth that we are all brothers and sisters we can make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment